Crossens became a Parish in 1860, the Church of St John’s was designed in a mock-Gothic style and is the second on the present site. It was consecrated in 1885 and celebrated its Centenary in 1985. It is now a grade 2 listed building. The Church was re-roofed in 1991 and re-decorated internally in 1993. The Bells have been re-hung, the Bell tower was restored in 1997, this included the retying in of the Bell frame. The tower was re-roofed in 2008. The church was reordered in 2010 when a community room, complete with toilet and kitchen, was installed.
The Church has its own Yard where burials and the interment of Ashes still take place. The Scarisbrick Mausoleum stands in the South frontage of the Yard and is a listed building. At the front of the Yard is a dedicated War Memorial to the fallen of the Parish.